Are you planning a trip to Cozumel and looking for suggestions on what to see and do on this beautiful Mexican Caribbean island? Let me tell you about the best places to visit and activities to enjoy in Cozumel, as well as recommended tours to maximize your stay, and the most convenient TRANSPORTATION options to get you there.
Best Travel Insurance for Mexico
Cozumel Island in Mexico
If you’re looking for an exciting experience in Cozumel, you can take a JEEP TOUR around the island, with a tequila tasting and snorkeling. But if you’ve come to Cozumel to relax, you can also enjoy a drink and ceviche on the beach after SNORKELING among STARFISH.
If you want to explore the depths of the sea without getting wet, how about seeing the fish from a SUBMARINE? It’s a unique experience that you can’t miss. To end the day, join this DINNER on a PIRATE SHIP with a show included! You’ll discover a fun and different way to enjoy local cuisine.
If you’re foreigner planning a trip, in this link you can check the ✅ SANITARY REQUIREMENTS and get a VISA. Also, to help you travel without spending too much, in this link you’ll find ✈️ CHEAP FLIGHTS and a 💥10% DISCOUNT on your TRAVEL INSURANCE.
When browsing the internet during your trip, it is essential to use a 👉 QUALITY VPN to ensure your privacy and security. Additionally, bringing a ⭐ TRAVEL DEBIT CARD will help you avoid issues with carrying cash and reduce the risk of theft.
What to do and see in Cozumel
When you get off the ferry in the port of Cozumel, you will find a lot of stands offering tours, car rentals and activities to do on the island.
If your idea is to spend just one day in Cozumel, the best option is to rent a motorcycle, a beetle (yeah, the old ones!) or a car to tour the island yourself; or that you hire a complete tourist pack.
I make a list of the best activities and places to visit:
Best beaches in Cozumel
The most beautiful beaches of Cozumel (with white sand) are located in the southeastern part of the island; that is, after leaving the port, you have to go to the right.
In this area you will find beautiful beaches and bars to have a drink, palapas and loungers are also equipped to relax.
If you go to the other side you will only find rocky beaches. Aesthetically they are not so pretty, but it is where the inhabitants of the center of Cozumel go to spend the day, and they are also fun to go for a picnic if you are staying in the area.
Punta Sur is one of the most beautiful places in Cozumel, but its diversity is also worth mentioning. It is an ecological reserve that is part jungle and part mangroves and white sand beaches; It also has reefs where you can snorkel.
But this is not all, in Punta Sur two more surprises await you. The first is the views of the island, you just have to go up to the Celarain lighthouse and you will have a panoramic view of the Caribbean Sea.
And the second is the Laguna Colombia area, which may interest you because crocodiles live in the wild. If you want to enjoy the natural landscape and see these incredible animals, you can sign up for one of the boat trips they do on the lagoon.
Snorkeling in a sunken ship
Although the island is beautiful and has different attractions, I have to tell you that this became one of my favorite places. It is very close to the pier (to the left), and if you ask at the hotel they will direct you without problems.
It is a sunken ship that can be easily accessed from the shore. It is in very good condition and only half of it is underwater, so you will be able to see the different parts of the ship up close and in detail.
Although it is on the shore itself, many fish are grouped around the boat. You can even see manta rays, barracuda, and schools of fish.
If you decide to go, it is better to bring some beach shoes or neoprene socks, since there are stones and rocks, and you could damage your feet.
Boat tour to Cielito (starfish)
This tour is an unmissable experience in Cozumel. You will take the boat trip and they will take you to snorkel at two different points.
The first in a reef in the high seas where you can see fish and corals (it is much more impressive if you dive there); and the second is in the Cielito area, which is a dream.
The beach is very flat, the sand is white and the water is turquoise. In addition, starfish abound (the huge ones) and as the water is calm and there is very good visibility, you will be able to observe them in all their splendor. I recommend you go because it is really beautiful.
Snorkeling in Sky Reef
One of the best places to snorkel on your own is at the Sky Reef Beach Club.
When you snorkel, I recommend that you bring your own goggles and tube, not only for hygiene reasons, but to be able to see the fish on any beach you go to during your trip, since not all of them will find stores where you can rent the equipment. .
Scuba diving in cozumel
Cozumel is very popular for its reefs and dive shops abound on the island, as part of the second largest barrier reef in the world (after the Great Barrier Reef in Australia) is located along the coast of this island. .
Among the fauna that you can observe are eagle rays, turtles and nurse sharks; and between the months of November and March you can see bull sharks. You can also take the opportunity to take a diving course such as Open Water or Advanced.
Archaeological area of San Gervasio
San Gervasio is a pre-Hispanic settlement, the original Mayan name is unknown but it is known that it was built approximately in the year 300 AD.
It is made up of different architectural complexes linked by paths (sacbés). The part dedicated to the goddess Ixchel (patron saint of medicine, childbirth and weaving) was destroyed and was located where the city of San Miguel de Cozumel now stands.
I wish you the best on your trip to Cozumel, and I hope this information has been useful to you!
How to get to Cozumel
If you’re planning to visit Cozumel, two popular starting points are Playa del Carmen and Cancun. To give you a quick idea of what’s involved, I’ve included a summary below. However, if you want more detailed information, you can check out this article on getting to Cozumel from Cancun and Playa del Carmen.
From Playa del Carmen
If you’re based in Playa del Carmen, the main pier for catching the FERRY (👉price) to Cozumel is located at the end of Benito Juarez Avenue. From there, regular ferries depart for Cozumel.
There are two different ferry companies, but I’d suggest focusing on the schedules rather than the specific boats since they’re quite similar.
In this case, there are 3 options:
By shuttle + ferry
If you’re traveling to Cozumel and arriving at Cancun airport, I highly recommend using the SHUTTLE + FERRY SERVICE (👉price and schedule) to get to your hotel. This convenient service will take you straight from the airport to your accommodation on the island. Just be aware that you’ll need to book at least 4 days in advance.
It’s worth noting that there are two different minibuses available, each with a different price. The first option will take you to hotels located in Zone 2 of Cozumel, which is the island’s central area where the town and airport are situated. The second option is for Zone 1, which includes the hotel zone in the southwest area, outside of the central area of Cozumel.
By bus + ferry
If you’re looking to save some cash and you’re staying near the Cozumel ferry terminal, taking the bus is your best bet. BUSES (👉price and schedule) leave from the ADO Bus Terminal and Cancun Airport.
These buses will take you to the Playa del Carmen terminal, which is conveniently located near the ferry dock (just a short walk away). From there, you’ll need to catch the FERRY (👉price and schedule) to get to Cozumel.
También tienes la opción de ir en avión, pero se trata de vuelos privados que pueden llegar a ser un poco caros.
Where to stay in Cozumel
On the island, there are two areas for accommodation, depending on your preference and budget. The first is near the ferry pier, while the second is in the southeast part of the island and offers a more peaceful atmosphere. Here are some hotel suggestions for each area to help you find the perfect fit for your needs.
Near the Ferry Pier
If you’re seeking a variety of accommodation options, both budget-friendly and luxurious, or enjoy having bars and restaurants nearby, it’s a good idea to stay in this area.
Additionally, you’ll find the local market and a big supermarket in the heart of Cozumel. These options can be helpful if you have dietary restrictions or want to save some cash.
- HIGHT BUDGET: COZUMEL PALACE (👉prices), with its beautiful oceanfront location, is an all-inclusive resort that offers an array of activities for families and relaxing spa treatments. It’s conveniently located just minutes away from popular tourist destinations and features a pool and gym.
- MEDIUM BUDGET: The B UNIQUE HOTEL (👉prices) is in a prime location near the Cozumel Museum and Golf Club, allowing you to immerse yourself in the local culture and enjoy sports. Take a dip in the pool, stay active at the fitness center, and treat yourself to a spa experience. And for ultimate freedom to explore the island, you can use the hotel’s complimentary bikes.
- LOW BUDGET: AUIKYANI HOSTEL (👉prices), situated right by the sea, provides you with a one-of-a-kind experience. Choose from shared rooms that accommodate 4 or 6 guests, or opt for a private double room, all fitted with 24-hour air conditioning and hot and cold water. Enjoy unlimited coffee and tea, and make the most of your beach vacation with free snorkeling gear.
South east of the island
This is where you’ll find some of the most beautiful beaches on the island and it’s perfect for those looking to relax and unwind. However, keep in mind that hotels in this area tend to be more expensive and there’s no public transport to get there.
The only way to get to this area is by taxi. But if you’re willing to spend a bit more and want to be close to the main beaches and tourist attractions, this is a great option.
- HIGH BUDGET: COZUMEL LANDMARK (👉price), a luxurious seafront resort, invites you to an unforgettable experience. Take a dip in the pool, lounge in the private beach hammocks, hit the tennis court, or soak in the outdoor jacuzzi. For those needing to get work done, the resort offers a convenient business center. Book now and indulge in the perfect balance of work and play at Cozumel Landmark.
- The Explorean Cozumel (👉prices) is an all-inclusive hotel that offers breathtaking views of the Caribbean Sea, surrounded by lush tropical jungle. Immerse yourself in a unique experience with opportunities for snorkeling right on the property. Relax by the outdoor pool, pamper yourself at the spa, or enjoy the kids’ facilities. And if you’re traveling with your furry companion, pets are also welcome for an extra fee.
- MEDIUM BUDGET: INTERCONTINENTAL PRESIDENTE COZUMEL (👉prices) is a luxurious resort that boasts a private beach, swimming pool, and a well-equipped business center. For families traveling with children, the resort offers babysitting services and features specially designed facilities for kids. In addition, guests can enjoy a relaxing spa experience and a game of tennis on the on-site court. Pet owners can also bring their furry friends along, provided they make a prior request.
- FIESTA AMERICANA COZUMEL (👉price) is an all-inclusive resort that provides guests with the perfect blend of relaxation and comfort. With its tranquil pool, fully equipped business center, and a spa, guests will have everything they need for an unforgettable stay. For families with kids, the resort offers special facilities and attentive care. Pet owners can also bring along their furry friends for an extra charge.
Tours and activities in Cozumel
One of the advantages of Cozumel is that it has many organized activities and excursions around the island. There is something for all tastes and budgets.
This is a list of the TOURS and ACTIVITIES that you can do in Cozumel, so you can get the most out of your visit to the island.
Is it safe to travel to Mexico?
Mexico is a country where violent crime, such as robbery, homicide, and kidnapping, is common. There are states that it is not recommended to travel to ecause of safety reasons. Bellow, you’ll find a list of the places that you should avoid.
The following states are not recommended for travel: Colima, Guerrero, Michoacan, Sinaloa, and Tamaulipas. And take extra precautions in Baja California, Chihuahua, Coahuila, Durango, Guanajuato, Jalisco, Mexico State, Morelos, Nayarit, Sonora, and Zacatecas.
Remember to follow these recommendations:
- In case of robbery, do not resist physically.
- Do not show a high purchasing power, that is, do not go with jewels, bags, etc … that are expensive.
- Be careful if you go out at night, and stay in crowded places where you are surrounded by other people.
- Thefts are usual (at guntpoint and during daytime), so don’t go with the camera or mobile in your hand or hang out of your neck.
- Try to avoid carrying the backpack on the back. Put it in front of you, or use a belt pouch or a cross bag.
I, personally, spent 4 months solo traveling around Mexico (I was in Puerto Escondido + Chacahua, Huatulco, Mexico City, Holbox, Merida, Valladolid, Tulum, Bacalar, Isla Mujeres, Cozumel and Playa del Carmen) and I didn’t find myself in any dangerous situation.
Although in most of these places murders took place in the middle of the street and people staying in the same hostel as me were robbed at gunpoint. But don’t let this scare you! Traveling to Mexico is totally possible, in fact it is a country with a lot of tourism.
In any case, it is always a good idea to have a TRAVEL INSURANCE that can compensate you economically and help you if a medical emergency arises.
If you are interested in traveling alone, I recommend this article on the reasons and benefits of solo traveling and this other article with tips for traveling alone as a woman. I encourage you to try it as it is a great and very beneficial experience for oneself.